Thursday, December 5, 2013

Month in Mexico: Part 8

It's funny how the only way my blog pushes ahead is when I have other more important yet more mundane tasks that I want to avoid. Anyway, it's been 6 months since Mexico and the story needs finishing.

After the calm and serene perfection of Holbox, the next plan on our agenda was to hit up Cancun for some insane partying. There is this chain of clubs (worldwide I think) called Coco-Bongo. Coco-Bongo is basically Vegas show meets night club. They have many many levels packed with people and a center stage. I have no idea why Clare and I decided that we need to go dance on the bar right in the center of the stage. It was amazing, bright, crazy intoxicating. It was a flat rate (and a very exorbitant one at 100 bucks) for the whole experience so we probably drank our body weight in vodka cran. One of the most embarrassing moments of my life happened on that bar :( I was crazily dancing on the bar of this club filled with thousands of people where I conveniently happened to be standing on an air vent in my itsy bitsy dress. You can see how the rest of the story goes. I was SOOOOOO mortified. But thankfully that mortification lasted 2 mins before the next song played and I went back to dancing like crazy. But like all clubs, it was a mixture of amazing fun intermingled with feelings of "what the fuck am I doing here". The packed crowds, the mile long line to the bathroom and the general high levels of drunk obnoxiousness. All the usual fun club stuff.

The next day after Cancun, we headed to this island called Isla Mujeres. It was a 30 minute ferry ride from Cancun. On the ferry there, Ben and Marek were doing their usual thing, strumming on the guitar and this older Mexican gentleman just comes and joins them. They didn't have a common language and they alternated between them showing him some of their music and him showing them his. It was one of those magical moments that make travel what it is. Isla Mujeres was much nicer than I expected. I had heard so much about how touristy it was but I think it was a bearable level of touristy. Kinda like Singapore again. You can accept the touristy side and have an amazing time. The best part was that the hostel was on the beach. and by this I mean that the beach was part of the hostel. They had a dance floor and a bar on the beach with tables scattered on the sand. So perfect. The water was very rocky but I still went swimming a few times. We spent most of our time in Isla Mujeres just exploring the island. We rented a golf cart and drove everywhere. Went to some very beautiful but very touristy beaches, walked around the city, ate tons of amazing food and then came back to have drinks at the beach each night. One especially memorable moment was all of us lying on the beach and Ben and Marek playing their newest song for us. The sun was setting, the music was making everything even more beautiful and all I could think of was how lucky I was to have experienced this moment.


Isla Mujeres was also kind of sad for me cos this is where I had to say goodbye to Clare and Anto. This is the terrible side of traveling. I am the worst at saying goodbyes. I think I almost cried when Clare left. I always thought that getting unreasonably attached to people is something I would get over when I get older. But it has never gotten easier. I still cry every time I leave mummy papa at home, every time I leave behind friends, even if they were in my life for a few days. The next day we headed back to Cancun to head back and my heart was so broken. Clare leaving was hard enough but I was so hung up over Ben that I didn't sleep a wink when him and Marek were leaving. The biggest heart breaker was leaving Mexico. I feel this closeness to the place like this is where life comes to heal. Everything gets better in the midst of amazing spirit, food, culture, people. Maybe it would be the same for any other vacation place. I dunno. I felt like this one of the best months of my life. Each day felt like one of the most beautiful days life had to offer. Maybe it wasn't the place by itself. The place mixed with the people I met probably made it the magical journey that it was.


















No comments:

Post a Comment