Monday, October 20, 2014

Birthday Memories

It's two weeks to my birthday and I have to be honest, I've been excited since September started. I think it's cos August is not an "ember" month. But when September rolls by, I know it's on! This is the finish line. This is when my birthday is going to roll around the corner and for that one day I am going to be queen of the world. A friend of mine pointed that by doing this I am essentially excited about my birthday for 25% of the year. I am totally fine with that. I'm not completely stupid. I do know that thousands of people are probably queen or king of the world for that day, but that's something I don't need to think about.

I know it's kind of vain and attention-seeking to be so excited about a birthday. I think it all started back in school. Since I started kindergarten, birthdays were a big deal in school. We were allowed to wear "color dress" which was essentially not the school uniform. All 500 people in school knew that day was my day. You walk around and everyone wishes you. The whole school assembly sings for you. One of my big fears was that some other kids will have their birthday on my day and I'll have to share it. Actually there were these twins who had their birthday on the day before mine. The rule was that if any birthday was on the weekend, they could do it the day after or the day before. I did not like those days when 3 of us would stand in the assembly together. Especially if they were the ones hijacking my day.  I think the amount of attention that we got in school for birthdays just went to my head. I remember so many birthdays as a kid that I would cry at night that my day was ending and it wouldn't be that amazing for a whole year. I was a dumb kid.

My parents never overly spoiled me for my birthday. We had our ritual trip to the toy store where I could pick any one toy within budget. The budget was always flexible at their end but I remember that even when I was young, all I would focus would be on the price tag to make sure that I don't go over budget. We would get a cake and sometimes I would have a birthday party, but I somehow don't remember much of those parties. I think I was very young. I just remember lots of presents. I actually don't remember a lot of the good presents. I remember once someone gave me plastic coasters when I was barely 8. I think that was the worst present.

The highlight of my birthday years and till date my best birthday was my 16th birthday. My sister threw a surprise party for me. All my friends were there. My mom made amazing food. But the best part was that it was the first (and I think last) time that she managed to stay quiet till the surprise. We are terrible at giving each other presents. We always get too excited and blurt it out. Another amazing birthday highlight was my 18th birthday. I was dating this guy I was crazy about and I fully expected some big gesture at midnight. When nothing happened, I was totally crushed and went to bed. The next day I logged into Orkut (the Facebook of the time) and his status message said, "If god made the world in one day, he made mine today. Happy Birthday". Man. I was almost in tears. Just that status message seemed enough to make my whole day. I can't remember anything that happened after that.

One of the good birthdays was my first birthday at Purdue (I was 23). I was kinda glum cos I didn't have any friends who knew it was my birthday and I was still in that phase where I thought it would be rude to mention it to them (I've definitely outgrown that since). I was on the phone with my sister and I was talking to her about something dumb when suddenly the door opens and there she was. She drove down to surprise me, rounded my meager friends and we went out for dinner. That was super special.

My birthday in Singapore when I turned 27 was the stuff of legends. I planned a trip to Kuala Lumpur and 33 of my friends could make it. I know it was more about KL than it was about my birthday but I didn't care. It was my birthday trip and we were taking the party bus to KL. We spent the whole day sightseeing. swimming in the hot tub, eating at local restaurants. We had one of the most epic parties ever and they surprised me with a cake that I didn't expect at all. Kathy made this memory book and had everyone sign it with messages for me. I think it's one of my most prized possessions ever. I think I have memorized every page of that book. We then went to the club, got smashed, ran all over the hotel. My god that night was awesome. I think that birthday has pretty ruined all future birthdays for me because I doubt anything can top that. I'm kidding. It's not a competition I know. And if all birthdays were that awesome, then it wouldn't be awesome anymore.

I've had some sucky birthdays too. There have been times at Purdue when noone knew it was my birthday. My sister gave me this awesome idea. I signed up on all the restaurant websites that give free meals on your birthday and I would go and eat at as many as I could. It was awesome because the whole week I had something to look forward to. I even got a $30 voucher for Benihana through this effort. It did suck though. And as empty and meaningless as it might be, sometimes those stream of Facebook messages from people who barely knew you but were just wishing you cos Facebook reminded them, would be the best part of the day. I have often thought about removing my birthday from Facebook because that way only the people who actually knew my birthday would wish me. But then I'm like, fuck that! I'd rather have a hundred wishes and make myself feel good. Also, it would really really suck if close friends didn't wish me. At least this is a safety net.

I'm thinking about this birthday and to be honest, I am just wishing and praying that I deal with any disappointment with grace. I know I can be a brat sometimes. I told Valentyn that I don't want anything for my birthday. And I know that it means that he won't get me anything. And since I am the one who chose that, I really really hope that I don't get disappointed on the day when something I asked for actually happens. It's been pretty great so far cos my parents gave me this really awesome bag which I can't wait to use at my new job. I also got a whole box of Lush stuff from Rob. So presents wise, I think I'm pretty set. I'm slightly disappointed cos I thought we'll have a big night out on Saturday (my birthday is on Monday) but Valentyn has plans for that night that I can't be a part of (no tickets :( ). To be honest, I don't think I would enjoy a Rugby game in the cold anyway. My parents want to do something special with me but I just don't know what to do logistically. We'll see. I am driving down to D.C. with my labmates so I might try to see if they want to have a drink once we get there. Maybe. I dunno. I don't know most of them. I'll figure something out. If nothing happens, I'll treat myself to an amazing meal and I dunno, go on a run, jump into a freezing cold lake, do anything I've never done before. Birthdays are amazing. I can't wait!!


No comments:

Post a Comment